Granny's Notes - the writing of Sue Gerard

Helping with dairy created solid work ethic

Some older person did the first wash in hot lye water, two bottles at a time. He would hold a bottle in each hand and push them onto two rotating bottle brushes. A third rotating brush washed the outsides while the two scrubbed the interiors. Hed pull the bottles off and turn the bottoms to the brushes as the hot water drained out.

Then he would put both of them into my first tub, which had chlorine in the water. Id grab one bottle in each hand, dunk them and then shake the water out and inspect to be sure they were absolutely clean and free of foreign material.

Some customers liked a different amount of milk occasionally, so they bought a book of tickets. These were made of heavy yellow paper, postage-stamp size, and the customer put one or two in the rinsed bottles so Dad would know how much milk to leave.

For example, one woman took milk from another dairyman for herself and a pint three times a week from Dad, for her cat. We all laughed at this because Dad supplied Boone County Hospital from the day it was built, and we said, "The cat will outlive its mistress."

Those paper tickets occasionally made it through the hot water, and Id get them out in my first rinse. In my second tub, I gave bottles a similar dunk-shake-drain, then placed them, upside down, into milk crates that were wooden stacking crates with wire bottoms.

Most crates held 12 1-quart bottles, and we usually did more than a dozen of those, plus two or three crates of pints and one of the little half-pint bottles used for whipping cream. All bottles had the same size tops and would later be capped with inexpensive, standard-size, cardboard bottle caps.

Dads advertising bill was almost zero. He used run-of-the-mill glass bottles that cost 6 cents each and had raised letters stating the bottle size and the admonition to "Wash and Return Daily."

White Eagle Dairy, Central and a few of the seven or eight family dairies had more expensive bottles with personalized letters in the glass. They got mixed with the plain bottles, sometimes, and wed sort out those in the washing process. Occasionally, the delivery men would stop and exchange bottles to get the marked ones back to the owners and the plain ones to the fellows who used those.

Feeding the cows, milking them, cooling and bottling the milk and washing empty bottles - all of that and more had to be done every day of the year. Dad didnt have vacations. The rest of us didnt have many. If any kids had allowances in the late 1920s, I never heard of it. Dad paid me 25 cents a week for rinsing those bottles, but there was another reward: I felt proud to be needed, doing something worthwhile in our family enterprise. Self-esteem wasnt even invented back then, as far as I know.

I now realize the job was more a work ethic device than a way for us to amass a fortune. The hot water withered my fingers, and the steam boiler that heated the water overheated the room in summer! Nevertheless, I was happy and proud of my efforts!

Click here to return to the index

 Subscribe in your RSS reader

Copyright © 1994-2010 Sue Gerard. All Rights Reserved. No text or images on this website may be reproduced in any form without written permission of the author, except small quotations to be used in reviews.